Is there a CDL air brake endorsement?


In the United States, there is only an air brake RESTRICTION.  If the CDL applicant does not take the written air brake exam when applying for a CDL or does not take the road test with an air brake equipped vehicle, the CDL will have a restriction “L” on the CDL, meaning vehicles without air brakes.  This restriction only applies to vehicles that require a CDL.  For example, a driver with a CDL and air brake restriction can still legally operate a box truck with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs. with air brakes, because the box truck does not require a CDL.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a commercial driver's license (CDL)
2. Do I need a medical certification/card or operate a CMV in Kansas?
3. Do I need to carry my medical card?
4. If a truck has air brakes, does it require a CDL?
5. Is there a CDL air brake endorsement?
6. I am a farmer. Do I need a Class A or Class B CDL?
7. I am an out of state farmer. Will Kansas recognize my CDL exemption?