What is apportioned registration?

Apportioned registration, or the International Registration Plan (IRP) is a special type of vehicle registration for motor carriers who operate in more than one state.  

Fees collected are distributed to the states in which the carrier operates just as vehicle registration fees are paid to a base state when operating in only one state.  Your vehicle must be registered in Kansas if it operates in intrastate commerce (that is, point to point movements within Kansas), or if it operates in interstate commerce in or through Kansas and is registered for more than 12,000 lbs. (KSA 8-127, 8-143c, KAR 92-51-53)

Kansas registration may be satisfied by either a Kansas base plate, out of state apportioned registration with Kansas listed on the cab card, or temporary Kansas registration.  Temporary registration may be obtained through K-Trips at https://www.k-trips.com/.

Exceptions to the registration requirement exist for:

  1. Restricted plates (farm, local, 6,000 mile),
  2. Charitable non-profit organizations,
  3. Schools
  4. Recreational vehicles for personal use
  5. Drive-away, transporter/dealers
  6. Government vehicles
  7. Operating under the Missouri bilateral agreement (see KAR 92-51-53)

Show All Answers

1. Do I need operating authority?
2. Do I need to display a USDOT number?
3. How do I obtain a USDOT number?
4. Are there any exceptions to needing a USDOT number?
5. Are there any exceptions to obtaining a USDOT number for intrastate commerce (wholly within Kansas)?
6. Does the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) issue KDOT numbers for intrastate commerce?
7. What is Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)?
8. What the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?
9. What is apportioned registration?
10. When is Kansas commercial vehicle registration (license plate) required?
11. If my vehicle(s) require apportioned registration or the Kansas commercial vehicle registration, does that also mean it requires a USDOT number?
12. When are haz-mat placards required?