What the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is a process by which motor fuel taxes are collected and distributed to the states in which interstate motor carriers operate.  

If you operate any of the following vehicles or combinations in interstate commerce, you must obtain a fuel permit/IFTA:

  1. A single unit with two axles and a registered or actual weight exceeding 26,000 lbs., or
  2. A single unit with three or more axles, regardless of weight, or
  3. A combination vehicle with a registered or actual weight exceeding 26,000 lbs.

However, if your vehicle is a government vehicle, school bus, Kansas farm registered, or recreational vehicle, you are not required to obtain a fuel permit.

For more information: Visit: https://www.iftach.org/ or https://www.ksrevenue.org/forms-mfifta.html

Show All Answers

1. Do I need operating authority?
2. Do I need to display a USDOT number?
3. How do I obtain a USDOT number?
4. Are there any exceptions to needing a USDOT number?
5. Are there any exceptions to obtaining a USDOT number for intrastate commerce (wholly within Kansas)?
6. Does the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) issue KDOT numbers for intrastate commerce?
7. What is Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)?
8. What the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?
9. What is apportioned registration?
10. When is Kansas commercial vehicle registration (license plate) required?
11. If my vehicle(s) require apportioned registration or the Kansas commercial vehicle registration, does that also mean it requires a USDOT number?
12. When are haz-mat placards required?