Do I need to display a USDOT number?


If your vehicle meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle and does not qualify for any of the exceptions, the USDOT number and full legal name or trade name must be displayed, as registered with the FMCSA.  The number and name must appear on both sides of the power unit in letters that contrast sharply with the background, be readily legible during daylight hours from a distance of 50 feet while the vehicle is stationary.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need operating authority?
2. Do I need to display a USDOT number?
3. How do I obtain a USDOT number?
4. Are there any exceptions to needing a USDOT number?
5. Are there any exceptions to obtaining a USDOT number for intrastate commerce (wholly within Kansas)?
6. Does the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) issue KDOT numbers for intrastate commerce?
7. What is Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)?
8. What the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?
9. What is apportioned registration?
10. When is Kansas commercial vehicle registration (license plate) required?
11. If my vehicle(s) require apportioned registration or the Kansas commercial vehicle registration, does that also mean it requires a USDOT number?
12. When are haz-mat placards required?